Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Best sushi on the North Shore

Hello friends :)

YAY, I'm finally going to post my first blog! Since I have a great passion for food, I decided that I will share my experiences with the best sushi places that Vancouver can offer in the Lower Mainland.There are numerous Japanese restaurants, but only a few are worth the price with the quality of the food. Whether you want big portions, or smaller ones, good quality, affordable pricing, Vancouver has it all. But I decided that I'll only talk about one today and compare it with some other restaurants that I've been to. Yesterday, Ben and I went snowboarding at Cypress and afterwards, I was craving sushi so we decided to go to Yuko Maki in North Vancouver located on Lonsdale! It has actually become one of our favourite go-to places for sushi. Our dearest North Shore friends introduced us to the place and now we love it! Not only is it cheap, but it gives you decent amount of food. Our North Shore friends call it Yuckie Muckies, and this is what we ate...


I always have to order salmon sashimi whenever I go out for sushi, the good thing about the ones at Yuko Maki's is that they slice big pieces of sashimi, they're bigger than the ones at Sushi Town. There is only one other place that I know that gives you large pieces of sashimi, and it's called Banzai in Richmond on Westminster Hwy. My Richmond friends would call it "garbage" because their house rolls are massive, reasonably priced and you can get full from one roll.
For salad, I always order wakame aka "seaweed salad" on Yuko Maki's menu. This was $3.50 and it came with a lot of salad. It looks like we ate a lot of it very quickly because this came first :) The texture and the taste of it is very good, if you never tried it, I suggest you do! I think it tastes way better than the ones you can buy at local supermarkets such as T&T.
This was my dinner, I had two salmon maki's and a chopped scallop cone. Sushi special itself was only $5.95! You can choose 3 rolls, but since I love salmon, this is what I ended up with. There were other really good rolls too such as Negitoro Roll, or Yam Tempura Roll, Tuna Maki, etc. The chopped scallop cone came with cucumbers and it was actually nicely wrapped with rice from the bottom tip of the cone to the top! This sushi special also came with a miso soup.
Ben decided to get a bento box. I think Yuko Maki is known for this because it is super cheap and it comes with so much food. There was tempura and the sauce, california roll, chicken teriyaki on rice, salad, and an orange. This was definitely a filling meal for Ben and it was only for $5.95! Other places such as Tentatsu on Hastings would have these boxes for around $6.95 or more.

Finally, this was our bill. It was definitely very filling and satisfied my sushi craving! Hope you guys will eventually check this place out sometime if you love sushi, I think you'll like it :) Thanks to all my friends for introducing me to this restaurant, and kudos for making me want to go back every time I go to the North Shore.












- CW

No comments:

Post a Comment